Registration now open for SEPTEMBER 2021!
From the APMG website: CPTC validates the skills, knowledge and competence of technical communicators as they advance in their professional careers.
CPTC is a certification scheme developed by APMG on behalf of the Society for Technical Communication (STC).
The Society for Technical Communication is the world’s largest and oldest professional association dedicated to the advancement of the field of technical communication. The Society, with headquarters in the United States, has members in over 40 countries and across all continents.
- Objective validation of technical communication competency.
- Enhanced employment opportunities as you can differentiate yourself from others.
- Indicates to your existing or potential employer that you are committed to the field of technical communication.
I am an Accredited Trainer for the Certified Professional Technical Communicator (CPTC™) exam. I’m available through both the Rochester Institute of Technology and individually to provide a 12 hour training course followed by the CPTC exam. I’m also happy to refer you to a fellow trainer if that meets your needs better.
Why Should I Certify?
Virtual CPTC Exam Prep Class, Beginning September 2021
Please join me for an eight-session weekly virtual training course for the STC Certified Professional Technical Communicator (CPTC) Foundation exam offered through the Rochester Institute of Technology. 7-8:30 PM Thursday evenings from 9 September to 28 October, 2021.
In this eight-session weekly class for certification, we will prepare you for the CPTC Foundation exam. Participants will learn the Nine Core Competency Areas for Technical Communicators that are evaluated by the Certified Professional Technical Communicator (CPTC) Foundation Exam.
- Project Planning
- Project Analysis
- Content Development
- Organizational Design
- Written Communication
- Visual Communication
- Reviewing and Editing
- Content Management
- Production and Delivery
The class facilitator, Ben Woelk, CISSP, CPTC is an accredited CPTC trainer. RIT is an Approved Training Organization.
Please note that the class does not include the exam fee nor provide time to take the exam. The online exam can be booked directly through APMG at https://apmg-international.com/product/cptc, and is proctored remotely. The exam fee is currently ~$260 for STC members, ~$515 for non-members. Attendees have one year to take the exam after purchasing it from APMG. Information about STC membership is at https://www.stc.org/membership/.
- Current RIT student $300 (+$19.89 Eventbrite fee) = $319.90 . If you are an RIT student and would like to register at this rate, please contact email@example.com
- RIT, Faculty, Staff, or Alumni $500 (+$32.07 Eventbrite fee) = $532.07 (Indicate program and graduation year). If you are an RIT faculty, staff, or alumni and would like to register at this rate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spectrum 2021 conference attendee $500 (+$32.07 Eventbrite fee) = $532.07. If you are a Spectrum 2021 attendee and would like to register at this rate, please contact email@example.com
- Regular Registration–No RIT Affiliation $700 (+$44.24 Eventbrite fee)= $744.24
A full refund of registration fees is available though August 9, 2021 only. The refund does not include the Eventbrite fee shown above.
Registrations are transferrable and may be credited towards a future class offering.
Registrants will also receive an invitation to an online CPTC study group hosted on Slack.
Late registration ends on 9/9/21.
Although not required for the training class, we strongly recommend you study the body of knowledge for the exam, Richard Johnson-Sheehan, Technical Communication Today. Either the 5th or 6th edition is suitable. You can purchase or rent the book through Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Registrants will also receive an invitation to an online CPTC study group hosted on Slack.
For more information please contact Ben Woelk at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. This CPTC foundation exam preparatory class is being offered by the Rochester Institute of Technology in conjunction with the STC Rochester Spectrum Conference.
Excellent style and put us at ease. Really gave us very useful test taking advice and prep.
One of the best instructors ever. Able to hold my sleepy-ADD mind for a day and a half on a weekend while making me retain info. Kudos!
Ben did a fantastic job running this class! He made it clear from the start that this class complements, does not replace, the text. But I feel I have a better understanding of what to expect on the exam.
Society for Technical Communication
- Why Certification
- Continuing Education Requirements
- Sample Questions
- Study Guide (PDF)
- Accredited Trainers
- Register for the Exam
- Contact STC
Allie Proff and Ben Woelk Resources
- CPTC Study Group (Administered by Allie Proff and Ben Woelk)
- CPTC Study Group on Facebook
- LinkedIn Group
- Google Docs
- CPTC Slack Study Group